Abalone Tour Options
Abalone tour R100
Duration: 35 minutes
Meet up with your tour guide at the Heart Shed in the New Harbour of Hermanus. Sit back and relax while you learn about the history of abalone in South African and Hermanus’ Walker Bay area and the biology and life cycle of this mysterious mollusc and the unfortunate demise of wild stocks due to over-harvest and poaching. Here your guide will share information about abalone in its natural environment and also introduce visitors to abalone farming. This tour is also ideal for students or pensioners and can be customised to specific group needs, upon request.
Farm tour R150
Duration: 1 hour 20 min
(Abalone tour + farm component)
After your informative Abalone tour, Join us for a guided tour as you boot-up and walk on the oldest and largest abalone farm in South Africa located in the New Harbour of Hermanus. Visit Abagold’s state of the art abalone hatchery where broodstock are cared for and baby abalone (spats) are produced. Experience the farming activities of feeding, tank cleaning and sorting of the abalone first hand, as you walk among the 40,000 baskets on the farm.
Technical tour R150
Duration: 1 hour 20 min
(Abalone tour + technical component)
Abalone farming is a playground for any engineer and the technical infrastructure of the industry is mind-blowing. Now, having the Abalone tour as background, this tour showcases the impressive sea water pumps and aeration system, back-up power generation, innovative water reticulation & renewable energy projects, which includes viewing the construction of Mean Sea Level’s the first ever wave energy converter in South Africa. Learn more about the system & technical infrastructure that keeps Abagold’s 10 000 000 abalone healthy and happily housed in their 40 000 baskets!
Add a tasting… R100
To end off your tour with a tasting of our delicacy, please remember to add this selection to your booking.
Monday to Saturday 11:00 – 15:00
- Booking is essential for groups larger than 5, or weekend tours
- If you would like to book a tour at a time other than our specified time slots, please contact us to discuss
- Farm walks are weather permitting and tours may be adjusted to stay indoors (the Heart Shed)
- Group sizes are limited to 24 people per time slot. Please contact us to make arrangements to accommodate larger groups
What to expect
- Boot up to walk through a working abalone farm. See the abalone up close in their natural and farmed environment. Enjoy a tasting of this delicatessen in various forms, paired with our selection of local wines.
- Support our communities by buying locally produced abalone related products in our gift shop.
- Learn about the life cycle of this interesting sea snail, the challenges of the farming process, as well as the culture and history of this unique mollusc for South Africans and Chinese.
- Boot-up to walk through a working abalone farm. See the abalone up close in their natural and farmed environment. Enjoy a tasting of this delicacy in various forms, soon to be paired with our selection of local wines.
Telephone: 083 556 3428
Address: New Harbour, Hermanus, 7200
- IncludedAbalone Tour Options
- Not IncludedNatureRelaxationHobbyEnthusiastsFamily-fun