This sleepy little seaside village has some precious gems such as the Harold Porter Botanical Gardens and Stony Point Penguin Colony. The botanical garden of Harold Porter, which stretches from the mountain-top down to the sea, is known as ‘little Kirstenbosch’ and contains some of the best examples of local fynbos, including proteas, restios and over 50 species of ericas. Betty’s Bay is also home to Gaspard Bossut, Master Chocolatier, who practices his trade under the name GaBoLi from his home and shop in Delport Road.
BETTY’S BAY DAY TRIP ITINERARY
- Betty’s Bay is always a good idea, especially on weekends. When last have you explored Betty’s?
- Harold Porter Botanical Gardens has a fynbos display, book shop and walking paths that links to different contour routes along the mountains. The walk to the waterfall is comfortable and easy while extremely picturesque. On Saturday mornings there is a 5km ParkRun at 8:00 which can be ran or walked.
- Visit Coffee on Clarence for the obvious coffee and cake or Houw Hoek pie. This is within walking distance from Harold Porter and right next to The Hub where pizzas, sushi and organic veg and free-range eggs can be bought.
- Cross the street for the new Luiperds Kloof Antiques & Décor. Say hello to owner Melanie and guard dog Sid. Melanie has fond memories of playing away weekends in Leopards Kloof as a child and when it came to choosing a name Luiperds Kloof felt right. Sid is Melanie’s shadow and can be best described as an internet chihuahua.
- Not far is John the Potter’s well signed studio filled with handmade ceramics that makes for great gifts.
- Venture off the Main Road towards the Hangklip side and find CapeNature’s Stony Point Penguin Colony. Don’t be surprised if you are welcomed in the car park by an African Penguin. You will also find species of cormorant, gulls, and the cute Rock Hyrax, known as the Dassie. On the Edge restaurant serves a mean fish & chips. #FindYourselfInBettysBay
- IncludedBetty’s Bay
- Not IncludedNatureRelaxationHobbyEnthusiastsFamily-fun